Every structure is incomplete without proper roof. A roof is the most important part of the building that protect us from the elements such as sunlight, snow, wind , high or low temperatures and rain. Apart from protection, the bottom of the roof is a place where people can give aesthetic look by creating attractive false ceilings using decorative panels that gives a fabulous look.
Apart from creative designs and eye pleasing look, false ceiling also offer functional features that enhance their utility in more way just like, false ceiling provide good acoustics where required sounds can be enhanced and at the same time unwanted sounds can be minimized. False ceiling also provides extra space for air conditioning ducts and housing electric wires. They also reflect and diffuse light obviating the need for unnecessary artificial lighting thus lowering energy consumption.
There are various types of false ceiling presents in market, here are some types of false ceiling which are popular among consumers now days :
- Gypsum false ceilings
- Pop false ceilings
- PVC false ceilings
- Wood false ceilings
- Metal false ceilings
Gypsum False Ceilings
Gypsum is a sulfate of calcium available as an evaporate mineral. It is a popular material for false ceilings because of its thermal and sound insulation, lightweight and fire resistance properties. It is also a soft material. Square gypsum boards can be hung from an iron framework to build a false ceiling. Gypsum is available naturally in shades of brown, white, red, yellow and grey. It is also available as a clear or colourless material. We can enhance the aesthetic looks of gypsum boards by finishing them with laminates and paints.
Pros of Gypsum False ceiling
- Gypsum boards are easy to install and clean
- As Gypsum boards are flexible in nature we can give seamless look to ceilings.
Cons of Gypsum False Ceiling
- However, easy to install, it is a difficult process to uninstall these boards. Repairing these means that the complete ceiling will have to be broken down.
- With time moisture seep into gypsum boards through leaking roofs or air conditioning pipes. This could result in fungal growth in the ceiling or even cause de shaping of the boards. To avoid this opt for moisture resistant boards.
- Gypsum boards are expensive than POP.
Pop False Ceiling
Plaster of Paris (POP) is among the most popular materials used in a variety of commercial as well as residential roofing applications. POP is basically gypsum sans its water content (created by heating gypsum to a temperature when water evaporates) available in powdered form. It hardens when water is added and makes for a good ceiling material.
Pros of POP False Ceiling
- POP is maintenance free and highly durable besides being good insulators of cold and heat.
- POP false ceilings provide uniform and smooth finish as well as designs of various shapes.
- POP is also 25-40 per cent cheaper than gypsum boards
Cons of POP False Ceiling
- The major drawback of POP is its tendency to crack over time.
- Until and unless skilled labour is working on a POP design, the finesse with which gypsum boards are manufactured cannot be achieved.
PVC False Ceilings
Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) is an ideal plastic material for false ceilings in garages, basements, kitchens, toilets and bathrooms. PVC ceiling panels are a highly cost-effective alternative to other costlier panels. These panels are easy to install and maintain. They are lightweight and resistant to moisture and termites. They do not get affected by UV light and hence are colour fast. They can also be finished in a variety of ways giving flexibility in design.
Pros of PVC False Ceiling
- PVC false ceilings are budget friendly.
- Easy to install and maintain.
- PVC false ceiling are quite durable.
- PVC false ceiling are light weighted and easy to maintain
Cons of PVC False Ceiling
- Chlorine is used in the manufacture of PVC materials; some traces of the toxic chlorine gas might be released into the air over a period
- PVC ceilings are made of plastic so they are not resistant to heat.
Wood False Ceilings
Wooden false ceilings have excellent natural patterns and textures that gives an eye pleasing look to your place. Wooden panels can come in the form of hollow blocks, boards or panels.
Pros of Wooden False Ceiling
- They are very easy to install
- They are available in various natural patterns and textures
- Wooden false ceiling can gives a a rich and sophisticated look to your place.
Cons of wooden False Ceiling
- They are vulnerable to the attack of termites
- They are very much expensive compare to other false ceiling
- Maintenance cost is high
Metal False Ceiling
Metals such as aluminum and galvanized iron are widely used in false ceiling, as this false ceiling can be removed and reinstalled easily so it is ideas to the house water pipes, AC ducts and electric wires away from public glare
Pros of Metal False Ceiling
- Easy to install
- Low maintenance
- As metals are hard it is highly durable
- Metal ceilings are fire resistance
Cons of Metal False Ceiling
- Cost of genuine metal material is high
- As protective coating is needed to prevent corrosion over time, the maintenance of metal ceiling is high